As consumers we would have bought the best of the Vitrified Tiles available in the market. However it is finally the workmanship of laying the Tiles that gives us the feel and its aesthetics. we often here of displacements, non alignment and other issues. The workman can make or break the show !!
Thankfully there are guidelines to Lay tiles and well defined by ISO
- The screed bed for laying Vitrified Porcelain Tiles shall be of cement and sand mortar as indicated.
- Bedding over which the tiles shall be laid shall not be less than 10mm at any place
- Base concrete or RCC slab shall be cleaned and wetted.
- The bedding shall then be laid evenly over the surface, tamped and corrected to desired levels and allowed to harden enough to offer a rigid cushion to tiles.
- Before laying the tiles, tiles shall be washed and then applied fine cement slurry on the back of the tile to ensure full and proper bedding.
- Tiles shall then be placed on bedding, each tile being gently tapped with rubber hammer in its position till it is properly bedded and in level and line with adjoining tiles.
- Use of spacers is recommended for uniformity in joints and better finish.
- Remove the residual cement or jointing material immediately by a wet sponge.
- After 24 hours when the tiles are properly set and cured, fill the joint gaps with joint filler as per recommendation of manufacturer.
- The joint gap shall be filled by spreading joint filler paste in the spaces between the tiles with the help of rubber trowel.
- Clean the tiles surface immediately with the help of wet sponge.
- Vitrified Porcelain Tiles can be laid in flooring over Base concrete or RCC slab directly by using suitable chemical adhesive as per manufacturer’s instructions if so indicated.
Source: ISO 13006